Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What's in a Name?

That's a picture of my baby (obvi, because it would be kinda weird if it was somebody else's). My curious, spitting-image-of-Dad, indefatigable baby. Leo, please don't hate me when you're twenty for posting this picture.

Up until now, I've only posted side or back-view pics of him because, like many other bloggers out there, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel plastering his face all over a blog he hasn't authorized or talked to his lawyer about. But I've decided to break my rule today because I think it's nice for readers to have faces to go with names, and I wanted those of you who don't know me to feel like maybe you will now, at least a little more. (Also, I think by the time Leo is twenty, privacy will have gone the way of Blockbuster, Netscape, and slap bracelets, so he probably won't give a shit).

So — that's Leo. And this is Mommyproof. Why the name, you ask? When this idea first started marinating in my sleep-deprived brain, it occurred to me that all of us new parents and parents-to-be focus so much on preparing our houses and lives for the baby. We babyproof our homes (and lives) – but it might benefit all of us to mommy (and daddy) proof them, too. How can we carve out schedules and metaphorical "safe spaces" where we can be parents but not lose our identities in the process? How can we shift everything while not shifting so much that we can't find ourselves in the chaos? (Tip: Don't think about it too hard or your brain might hurt).

Welcome to Mommyproof. Thanks for reading. Please know that Leo looks especially happy in this photo but as soon as he was done mugging for the camera he yelled for a stick of cheese and it was loud.

PHOTO CAPTION: I HEART DAD, and my shirt says it so it must be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment