Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blogging is Hard


Blogging is hard. Not the actual blogging, or even the writing — that part is highly enjoyable (otherwise, why do it, right?). I don't even mind the over-sharing, or the fact that I never know if someone's read a certain post or not, so when I see that person in person, I feel like I may be repeating myself, but then again, I never want to assume they're like, spending all of their free time reading Mommyproof, which they're clearly not unless they're my mom (kidding, Mom! Kidding).

What's hard about blogging is that you're the girl (or guy) waiting by the phone... all the time. You put yourself out there, and put yourself out there, and you often get absolutely nothing back. Obviously, that's just part of the deal, and every time I do hear from someone that they're reading, it literally makes my week. So sometimes, the proverbial phone does ring, and that's an awesome feeling. But there are also days when you can really doubt yourself (like yesterday, when I wrote a whole post about why I thought it was annoying that my doctor(s) told me to get a tummy tuck instead of trying to help me work with my post-pregnancy abs. I spent half the afternoon feeling like the sucker who doesn't realize that maybe tummy tucks really ARE the only way to get some semblance of your abs back, and like, every one of you is secretly planning to get one but nobody really talks about it because of all the reasons people usually don't talk about that stuff. And maybe I had also offended a gazillion people when I really just wanted to say that I think it's important to try to tone up, if you can (and want to), rather than leaping to such extremes as plastic surgery, and I was disappointed because the advice of my doctors might have caused me to feel really fatalistic about the whole thing and totally throw the towel in when, in fact, a regimen like Pilates could be very good for me and make me feel (if marginally) better about myself. So maybe they could have just said, "Why don't you try X, Y, Z, and in ten years if you still feel the same way, and you're done having kids, you can always think about a tummy tuck." Semantics? Perhaps).

Needless to say, this conversation with my own head left me feeling a little down, and I had to remind myself of why I started this blog in the first place: to write a blog about parenting that I would want to read. To write about real stuff, and maybe make a couple of people laugh. To talk about the topics that sometimes don't get talked about, but should.

Sometimes, a little controversy is good. Sometimes, you have to push buttons and envelopes and limits if you want to say things. To tummy tuck or not tummy tuck: maybe it isn't the most pressing issue out there, but it's real. And it's a choice a mom might face. And that makes it worth writing about.

That's all. Thanks for reading. 

xox,
Rebecca

4 comments:

  1. I read every post, so consider your phone RUNG! Also, I appreciate candidness, even when opinions might be different from my own. It is brave of you to put yourself out there; all new moms are trying to "figure it out," and hearing others' thoughts is really important. But in relation to your post from yesterday, I find it absolutely *ridiculous* (and disappointing) that you got that advice from your doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather, this means the world -- and I know this probably goes without saying, but of course blogging is my own choice -- it's my choice to put myself out there, my choice to be vulnerable, etc. I'm happy with my choice but I definitely have/have had moments of self-doubt. But who hasn't? (On the tummy tuck issue, it occurred to me today that perhaps my doctors were so quick to jump to surgery as a way to give me (or other patients) PERMISSION to take charge/do something more drastic, and that some women might really appreciate this b/c they might feel there is something to be ashamed of in getting surgery (which of course there isn't) and this could help them feel that they're perfectly justified in considering it. Still, I'm upset that they didn't offer up any other options, but I suppose I should give them credit for not just saying, "you had a kid. that's how your stomach looks now. get over yourself." ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca-
    I have LOVED reading your blog (you've been an amazing writer for as long as I can remember). Being the mom of a 14 month old, it's fun to think we're going through this period together as well (albeit, mostly one-sided) - though I wish we weren't on opposite coasts. Your blog from yesterday touched me - enough that I planned to send it to a friend who's expecting her first next month. So thank you for being vulnerable and putting yourself out there. Grateful for putting your thoughts (and often, my own) to words...
    Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mary Elizabeth -- that means so much to me. And I, too, love thinking of going through this "together" -- it's so fun when I hear from you or Autumn or any of our SMS'ers who have little ones the same age :) So glad some of what I've written has resonated with you... that definitely gives me the motivation to keep writing. Hope you are having SO much fun with Bliss (which I'm sure you are). xox, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete